Actionable Tips to Make an Exceptional UX Design Portfolio
Showcasing a work portfolio is an art that only few can master. Your UX Design portfolio gives potential clients a glimpse of your capability, so it is important to be perfect at creating one. For every UX designer or a UX designing company, the competition is immense. While there may be many companies/candidates who possess better UX skills than you do, it is the way you create your portfolio that makes you a strong contender.
Before a popular designing company closes a job opening, it goes through thousands of different portfolios. To ensure that you clear the first stage i.e. the screening process of the potential client, a great portfolio can make a difference. While hiring, firms/companies typically have a look at less than 90% of the portfolios and tend to select only the most interesting (and well-presented) ones. So, how do you ensure representing your proficiency to win through the competition? Here we will try an answer one of the most common questions of UX designers.
How to make a UX Design portfolio?
Follow these tips to ensure that your UX design portfolio is one of the best in the crowd.
- Showcase a Healthy Mix of Projects: When you showcase your portfolio over a website or at a firm, you want to display all your projects. However, you need to take special efforts into making your portfolio unique. You do not want to give a monotonous tone to the portfolio by showcasing similar projects. Instead, showcase how you have designed the UX for an application, website in different domains.
- Use an Approachable Tone for the Content: Content is also an important aspect of your UX portfolio. The best UX design portfolio use a light conversational (yet professional) tone for the content of the portfolio. You can sound humble yet an expert in the field if you use the correct tone for the content. Make sure that you display all the different characteristics such as creativity, talent as well as experience properly in the content.
- Showcase Your Complementary Skills for the Task: When a company is looking for a UX/web design company in Maryland, it is often looking for a well-rounded team that can take up the job effectively. You can showcase various other complementary skills that are an addition to your profile apart from UX design skills. Critical skills for the job that you can showcase include, graphic design, storyboarding, illustration, public speaking creative facilitation, art direction, etc.
- Create a Storyline Portfolio: If you wish to truly connect with your employer, you need to display creativity in the portfolio. A good idea to make your portfolio stand out is to create a storyboard within the portfolio. It is a well-known fact that creating a Storyboard is an important step in the UX design process. So, creating a storyboard outline will display a skill in the background without consuming the limited words that you have.
- Understand the Needs of Your Target Market: It is always a good idea to create a generic profile showcasing a lot of experience. Understanding the market’s needs beforehand will help you draft a good portfolio that targets the needs of the market properly.
Pro Tip: Stay aware of the NDAs that your firm signed in past to not leak any project’s confidential information while drafting your portfolio.
Following these tips will enhance your UX design portfolio and make it stand out from the crowd. Make sure that you use a friendly and slightly quirky tone in the portfolio to make a significantly different.
- All About Digital Design Experience Trend
- Why is Design the Most Important Factor in Mobile App Development?