Mobile Responsive Website or Native Apps: Which One is a Better Choice for Modern Market Trend?
The trend of smartphones and tablets is continuously evolving, followed by a regular release of new OS versions and a wide variety of mobile apps. High-speed internet connections have transformed the way consumers use smartphones. Since businesses and brands cannot afford to lag behind, the need to create app and adapt to mobile devices is all-pervasive.
There are different ways to approach the mobile web, which includes implementing a mobile version of the web app and having a responsive web design.
Which One Is A Better Option?
The question is tricky – it depends on your preference to opt for a native app or a responsive mobile web design. However, there are pros and cons of both.
Before going ahead, it is very important to clarify that either of the choices isn’t very easy! Having the web design that adapts to varied mobile devices through responsive design requires time, effort and money.
You need to assess a variety of parameters like technical aspects, functionalities required and quality of output expected, before deciding whether to make an app or create a website.
Defining a Responsive Website
Responsive websites became popular when brands and businesses started realizing that they need to work on a mobile interface to attract potential users and customers. A mobile-friendly website is more responsive, easily self-adapts to devices, has pre-set sizes, and fits almost any smartphone you use.
Listed below are the key areas of responsive websites you need to know:
- Need for Internet Connectivity: Responsive websites require internet connection to function. They draw information from the browser directly. That is one of the main reasons, why it may not be a viable choice over an app.
- Performance Issues: Responsive web generally has performance issues across mobiles and smartphones as some components like animations, videos and images are generally too heavy and slow to load. Users don’t have all the time to wait for an entire page to download. So, they might opt for an app. Not just that, huge data and battery consumption makes things worse.
- Lacks Functionalities: Important functionalities for businesses like push notifications, calendar, camera etc. is usually lacking in responsive websites, which makes it worse. These are only available in the latest mobile apps. So, that limits creativity and functions too. Likewise, technologies like voice recognition, QR codes, augmented reality and such advanced features cannot be used with the most responsive websites on mobile devices.
How Native Apps Have Revolutionized the World?
Native app development, undoubtedly, is a much better and larger option compared to responsive web. However, it is more expensive too.
The native mobile app development team is responsible for creating unique code base and design for each and every OS. They have to handle several approval processes needed for different operating systems, which can take weeks to prepare.
Nonetheless, results are marvelous in terms of speed, quality, and use.
Listed below are a few factors that make native apps superior:
- You Don’t Have To Be Online Always: If you have native apps downloaded on your smartphone, you don’t always need to be online to use it. Once downloaded, the app is stored on the device and can be accessed as and when needed.
- Superior Performance: Native apps don’t take too long to load, as these apps are designed specifically for mobile performance. They are easier, faster and much lighter to use.
- Better Functionality: Native apps can access all the functions of mobile devices and work together with different tools installed on the same smartphone. Of course, it ensures better user experience and also increases the opportunity to offer services through the app.
- Increased Security: Security is definitely one of the greatest advantages of using native apps over a responsive website. When using an app, businesses can handle connections without third-party involvement. Thus, users are not exposed to untrusted portals.
Mobile apps have given a new dimension to business. They offer better security, ease of access, no dependence, and brighter scope. With the rising number of smartphone users, going the app way is definitely rewarding.
Interesting read? Do share it! 🙂