Infojini Mobile App Development:Top 10 Best Practices for Mobile App Security
Mobile app development has gradually taken a center-stage over the years. At Infojini, we’ve seen the way focus has shifted from ‘great design and features’ to ‘feature-packed user-friendly yet safe apps’. Entrepreneurs are cognizant of aspects well-beyond just apps that add improve the bottom line. Apart from usability, there is an increase shift towards ‘security too’. Infojini has been able to win the trust of clients as a secure mobile application development company in Maryland. We follow a time-tested checklist of steps that are important to develop a wholesome application.
Development of a strong backend source code, creation of a feature-rich UI, formation of an intuitive UX design and conduction of mobile app testing are the 4 pillars that lay the foundation for a complete mobile application. We do not believe in overlooking the importance of the 4th pillar for app development, that is, mobile app security. While dealing with sensitive customer data, mobile app security is the biggest opportunity as well as threat that has the potential to build or break an application.
Here, we share with you the best practices for mobile app security that our experts follow:
- Choosing the Right App Development Platform: Development of the application on the right platform equips a developer with tools that can be used to automate a lot of the app testing procedures. It will allow you to ensure that your application is ready to handle heavy internet traffic effectively. Swift, Ionic, Java, Angular.JS, etc. are some of the most popular app development platforms we work on.
- Performing Ethical Testing: Ethical testing is the process of willingly inviting a hacker to try and break the application for theft of data. With the help of a GIAC certified ethical hacker, we would help you find loopholes in the application’s source code so that it is fortified against similar attacks in the future. The best mobile app development companies invest heavily in these practices.
- Compliance with Host Platform Norms: The Android and iOS platforms have their own set of rules and regulations for app developers. We follow a comprehensive guide with varied well-defined parameters for the safety of the application. By developing an app in compliance with these norms, we ensure that you develop a secure app that even ranks higher on the search results.
- Encryption of User Sensitive Data: Investment in a data encryption engine is a one-time cost that can help to save millions of dollars in the future. We encrypt the app users’ sensitive data using our own custom code or via processing using this engine. In fact, it is a favorable practice to encrypt the entire source code of the application from the ground up to prevent the risk of reverse engineering for theft of data.
- Limiting the Data Usage: Limiting the use of data by your application will ensure that it does not pass the data to a third-party carrier. In apps that we develop, this practice helps you to reduce the overall data consumption of the application thereby increasing its chances at higher popularity in the app store.
- Minimizing Portability of Data onto the Cloud: Applications developed for the iOS platform usually have a significantly larger footprint than the ones developed for the Android platform. We willingly commit ourselves to such a process in order to keep the data on the device rather than allowing the app to transfer it to a cloud.
- Incorporating Two/Three-Factor Authentication: While most modern-day smartphones come with fingerprint and iris scanner technologies, incorporation of one more layer of security dedicated for the application does no harm. Installing a key-enabled login/logout feature is one of the simplest and most effective mobile app security tips.
- Implementing Multiple Modes for App Testing: Automated, exploratory and regression testing are some of the best app testing methodologies in the industry today. Implementation of a combination of these techniques lets us fortify the application development process further.
- Installing Automatic Logout Functionality: An added security of auto logout is what our developers and clients love. The automated logout functionality will take care of the application users’ forgetfulness. It will automatically lock all the data on the application when it is not used for a set period. This would also minimize the background runtime for the application to further ensure that the user’s data is safe from predators on the internet.
- Defining Clear Guidelines for Data Collection: We provide clear indication of the data that your application collects from the user on the app installation page. This helps to tackle any possible lawsuit against the application for data theft.
These 10 practices form just the tip of the iceberg for a complete cyber security solution. At Infojini Consulting, we follow several other practices apart from the ones listed above, customized to your business requirement. We leave no stone unturned to fortify the app users’ sensitive data against any potential threats.